We must to know the basic Rudraksha rules before wearing a Rudraksha. No doubt, It is not allowed to wear Rudrakshas without accepting the Lord. What about other rules? What do the Puranas and Tantras tell about caste, creed and sex? Let us concentrate on these topics.
1. Don't wear Rudrakshas without believing Lord Shiva:
Rudrakshas are not Gems. Rudrakshas are not beads. They are tears of Lord Shiva. Wearing Rudrakshas without accepting Shiva (Rudra) results in dangerous consequences. The reason is simple. People who don't believe in Shiva tend to disobey the remaining guidelines too.
What about the people from other religions?
They are allowed, if they accept Lord Shiva. (Observe, only acceptance needed. Changing their custom is nowhere mentioned.) Rudrakshas greatly help in attaining best results with chanting or meditation. They are useful in raising Kundalini and are needed by all religious people. There may be their own methods to boost their worship. But, Rudraksha is incomparable.
Other Rudraksha rules:
2. Character is must. Ahimsa (Don't harm anyone), Satyam (Don't say lies) Asteyam (Don't steal anything) Brahmacharyam (Don't go passionate) Aparigraham (Don't beg anybody). All these five principles are important but the priority goes to the first ones.
3. Non-vegetarian diet, eggs, and Alcohol are strictly prohibited. Luxurious diet (Rajasikahara) and Unhealthy diet (Tamasikahara) are also not allowed.
4. Smoking and other Tobacco related habits are banned.
5. Participating in sexual activity either completely or partially is not at all permitted.
6. Saucham (Cleanliness): Rudraksha should be kept aside while going to toilet. Women should not wear Rudraksha in menstrual period (4 days). Avoid Rudrakshas in the days of Asaucha (if a birth or death occurred in that home, for birth: 3 days, for death: 10 days).
Santosham (Happiness): Don't wear Rudrakshas in the time of grief.
7. Don't touch people who are in above 6 disallowed conditions. No restrictions are mentioned regarding caste, creed or nationality.
Feeling very difficult? O.k, I can suggest a solution. Rudraksha rules 1 and 2 are mandatory. We can avoid wearing Rudrakshas in the remaining conditions.
There are traditions looking contradictory to these rules. I accept. but, they are too difficult to follow in remaining aspects and not meant for normal people.
Finally, Is it allowed to wear Rudraksha while taking bath? Yes. It is even encouraged. But, don't forget to protect costly Rudrakshas from soap and water.
You may also be interested in: